Sunday, October 7, 2012

Misson??

   The announcement made at General Conference about the age at which missionaries can serve made a profound impact on me. Four of my roommates and I got tickets for the Saturday morning session of Conference, so yes, we were in the Conference Center when the announcement was made. Immediately, the five of us are crying. This means I could potentially leave May/June of this coming year! The car ride back to Provo was filled with conversation of this important and exciting announcement. The fact that the Lord is putting his trust in 18- and 19-year-old kids to do His work speaks volumes about how important this is and how He wants His work done NOW! Going on a mission has passed through my mind just a couple of times throughout my youth, however I feel like that is what I'm supposed to do at this point in my life. I love the gospel and desire to serve the Lord. Even though it scares the pee out of me, I know that if it's right, the Lord will provide, protect, and comfort me. I think the most common phrase said among the Freshmen students here at BYU concerning the announcement is: "This changes EVERYTHING." It is so true in so many ways. This literally changes everything about my future plans. If I were serve a mission, I would finish out my first year at BYU, then potentially leave in May/June 2013.
    I know President Monson also emphasized that women are not obligated to serve a mission, but if they so desire to, they may. When I called my mom, she also reminded me of this. However, I believe that the fact that I was in the Conference Center at that time and also that this announcement was made 7 months before I turn 19 is definitely profound. At this point in my life, why shouldn't I go? My option right now is to fast and pray about it, but I have to focus my efforts on finishing this semester.
   I know the Lord is ever mindful of us and is completely aware of what we need to hear. I went into General Conference praying that if I needed to hear something important, I would be open to it. Not even 15 minutes in the first session, this announcement was made. Again, this speaks volumes to me about the power of prayer and about the love He has for each of us. Heavenly Father wants us to grow and learn and come unto Him. This being my first General Conference away from home, I definitely felt lonely and a little sad, however I know the Lord loves me and is watching over me. I am starting my 7th week of school and I have already learned so much and grown so much spiritually. I love our ward and just being on this amazing campus. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment