Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Ballroom?

I'm taking Dance 180 this semester, which is basic ballroom...we have learned the fox trot, cha cha, waltz, and triple swing. It has been an absolute blast! It may be because I'm in the class with 3 of my roommates, 2 guys from our ward, and 2 of our other guy friends. :) This being my first ballroom experience ever, I've really enjoyed it! Anyways, 2 weeks ago, we tested our Waltz and after class, my teacher Annie, came and talked to me about continuing my education in ballroom. She said, "Waltz is your dance." Although I feel super silly while waltzing, apparently I'm good at schmoozing it up! :P I also got a 95 on my Waltz test, so hey whatever works! haha
Anyways, I did register for Dance 184 - International Beg Ballroom for the fall semester. I will be learning more fox trot and waltz, tango, and quickstep! And I am trying to get into the 185 class - International Latin Ballroom, which includes cha cha, rumba, samba, jive, and paso doble! :) But the really exciting news is that last week after class, I talked to Annie and her husband Russ after class. They have both been dancing for awhile and have been on the BYU Ballroom team at one point. They are both grad students now that are teaching Social Dance. Anyways, I asked if I should get actual ballroom shoes for the classes in the fall and they talked to me about possibly auditioning for the ballroom team in the fall. Since I will have the summer off and the auditions are the first week of classes, they offered to work with me for a few hours when I come back in the fall to get me ready for auditions! They said I could easily make the beginning team in the fall! I'm getting really excited about this! I was really thinking about the Cougarette thing this past week and just how I was kinda disappointed that I didn't audition. But then I put more thought into it and realized that being a Cougarette would entail a lot more than I was ready for. The Cougarettes are basically cheerleaders at the BYU sporting events...that's not me. They are at every football game, every basketball game, and they actually just left for Florida to compete in Nationals! Also in my beginning jazz class, we are getting ready to test our across-the-floor technique combos and I absolutely hate them! They are so hard and I just feel like I'm drowning, which is a completely new feeling for me because I've danced all my life. But I'm just not a Cougarette. I'm still really glad I participated in the Cougarette workshop at the beginning of March because if I hadn't, I wouldn't have known that I'm just not cut out for it. I'm really enjoying ballroom, and surprisingly, I have a natural talent at it! Last week, we were practicing our triple swing and Russ came and told me that Annie had mentioned that she thought I was the best one in the class at triple swing! Wow! What a compliment! I'm really considering auditioning for the Ballroom team now because I know that I want to participate in some sort of dance team here at BYU and since Cougarettes fell through, I'm getting really excited about this! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment