Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"Enter to Learn. Go forth to Serve."

This is the motto of Brigham Young University. Boy, have I ever entered to learn! It is absolutely amazing to me how much I have learned in such a short period of time. Everything is so interesting when it is compared to the gospel of Jesus Christ, as it is in all of the classes here at BYU! As I was reading for American Heritage assignment tonight, I found two really cool quotes. Just as a background, right now we are learning about the Civil Rights era. We discussed how awful blacks were treated at this time in history. Which is a tragedy and I was just thinking, "How funny would it be to tell those awful people who were so mean to blacks about all the successful ones that so many people nowadays admire and look up to?" What would the legacy of basketball be without Michael Jordan? What would the Green Bay Packers do without Donald Driver or Raji? How awful would movies be without Eddie Murphy, Queen Latifah, or Whoopi Goldburg?? There are so many amazing people in this world that are so critical to history. Martin Luther King, Jr., Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman...the list goes on and on. What would the world be like today if these people hadn't stood up for themselves. The two quotes I found were:

"Life is a long journey of questions answered through the challenges of life."
"If we can overcome fear, we will discover that we are Davids fighting Goliath."

 I have a strong testimony in standing up for your beliefs and even for yourself. I learned the latter in high school. I learned that you can't be afraid to be yourself and love it! As I told my niece Taylor (who has entered the high school world this year), "Don't care about what other people think about you." Another example is of what my roommate and I were talking about earlier today. We were discussing the concepts of being "too fat" or "too skinny." In today's society, you have to be the perfect combination of both. If you are a little too chunky around the edges, you're fat, eat too much, don't exercise, and need to be on The Biggest Loser. By following this logic however, the world finds it absolutely disgusting when they can see ribs or find filthiness in anorexia and bulimia. I have a testimony in the love that Heavenly Father has for us. We were created in His image and He has NEVER once asked us or expected us to be perfect. Just as in college I have learned that I can't compete in my schooling as I tried so hard to do in high school. It's not about beating my classmates; it's about trying my best and working hard for ME! This is my education, no one else's. However, we can be perfected through the Savior Jesus Christ. He wants to help us, He loves us, and we WILL be perfect one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment