Sunday, March 10, 2013

BYU Hardships

Alright, I've been thinking lately about the struggles I've had at BYU and I have come to a conclusion...
I think being at BYU is harder than I thought...in ways that I wasn't expecting. At home, I felt like a spiritual giant (not that I was in any means), but it's just easier to be good when the people around you are doing bad things. I was so ready to be away from all of that nonsense and excited to be at BYU with so many people with my same standards. I wasn't actually prepared, however, for how the spiritual standards are. I feel like it's bee really hard to be spiritual when you're the one with the growing to do and so many spiritual giants around you. And I feel like I haven't really grown so much spiritually...well maybe that's not true. I guess I just haven't grown spiritually as much as I was expecting. I definitely have a testimony and there is no doubt in my mind that the Church is true. However, I no longer necessarily want to go to ward activities, just as an example. But I've also noticed that the things I NEED to do or the opportunities I NEED to take, always come at the most inconvenient times. On Friday, for example, after class I knew I had all of these things that I needed to do, but I got home and Sarah was getting ready to go to the temple to do baptisms. She wanted me to go with her, but I just had all these things I needed to get done running through my head. I didn't go with her, but I feel like those inconvenient opportunities are Heavenly Father's way of reminding me, "Hey Jasmine, remember me? Your Father in Heaven? How about talking with me for a bit? Stop worrying about such worldly things and take the time to remember me and why you are here." Friday's experience and my chance to reflect on that has been a real eye-opener. This semester, I've been so wrapped up in all the things going on (class, homework, out-of-class activities, concerts, ward activities, hanging out with friends and roomies, etc), rather than focusing on my Savior. Indeed, I have so much gratitude that I think my heart might explode sometimes..for everything. For life, for the gospel, for how awesome BYU is and lucky I am to be here. I am grateful for so many things in my life and for life itself, but I need to focus on serving others because by serving others, I am serving the Lord. I am trying. I'm trying to do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment