So, I didn't make the team. BUT...I made it through the first round and that's saying something! There were probably about 60-70 girls there auditioning and we got sent in with groups of about 15 at a time. As soon as we walk in, we pick a partner (guy that is already on the team) and dance cha cha. When the music stops, we switch partners and dance waltz. There are 3 team directors and if one of them like what they see, they come tap your shoulder. The first round I was WAY nervous! Both of my partners were super nice and so encouraging! I didn't get tapped during cha cha, but towards the end of the waltz round, one of the directors tapped me! :) I made it through to the second round! WOO!
I didn't make it through the second round and I don't know how many rounds there were total, but I was so proud of myself. I'm so glad I did this! Now, I know what to expect for the January auditions! :) While I was waiting in line for the first round, I was talking with some of the girls in line with me. One of them said that this was her 4th time trying out (Not sure if she made the team or not, but hopefully!).
However, this was the super super super cool part: When I danced in high school in Shawano, since the studio was really out of Green Bay, the owner would send Green Bay dance teams to dance in the Shawano recital with us. The purpose of this was to show the audience basically what real dancing looks like I guess. haha. The Green Bay girls are good. They dance maybe 5 nights a week and then have a class on Saturday too? Anyways, they are way good, but they are also super snotty. As a dancer representing the Shawano studio, we all hated the Green Bay girls because of course we were jealous of their dancing ability, but mostly because they were so mean to us. They thought they were so much better than us and, even though they were better dancers, they just treated us like dirt. As I was warming up for the ballroom auditions, this is what was running through my head. I was really intimidated by all of the other dancers and was amazed at how awesome they were. When I walked into that audition room, the entire ballroom team was waiting in there to watch. And they cheered! Walking into that room, you felt awesome because the whole team was cheering you on! Also, the partners that I danced with...they encouraged, cheered, talked me through the entire audition. It was a completely different feeling than my last dance experience. Of course most of those dancers there were so much better than I am, but I didn't get that vibe the entire time I was there. It may sound completely cliche, but the Spirit was totally there! BYU and its' students never cease to amaze me with their talent and pure kindness. I can't wait for January's auditions!
By the way, (as a side note, I'm taking two dance classes this semester, Beg. Standard and Beg. Latin) I got an e-mail this week from my Latin teacher.
Hey Jasmine! I just wanted to shoot you an email to let you know how well you are doing. I appreciate your patience with each of the boys you dance with. You are doing a great job! You seem to have a good understanding of what you are doing, so if you ever want/need more to work on let me know and I`d love to help! If not, no worries, keep up your great work :)
Caitlin
How awesome is that? :) I sent her an e-mail right back and told her how much I appreciated her e-mail and that I wanted to audition for the team again in January. My cha cha definitely needs work and so if she wouldn't mind working with towards the end of the semester, that'd be great! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment